Monday, March 3, 2008

Celtic Music


I went to see the Chieftains on Saturday night. As they were coming on stage, I saw a drummer, ok, a keyboarder (keyboardist?), right, a harpist in jeans who was female, another girl, this one in a red dress and some strappy, high heeled sandals. Wait a minute - girls? Then came the piper, fiddler and a fellow on guitar - four of them looking much younger (and more female) than I remembered the Chieftains to be. So, it turns out that I saw the Chiefs or the Tains, because only two of the Chieftains were actually on stage that night.

Sigh. It was a good, although somewhat subdued, concert. Some of the good old tunes. Some pretty snappy Irish step dancing - by a very peppy woman from Long Island and a couple of brothers named Pulaski. Ahhh, the Irish are everywhere.

I've got to get me a pair of shoes that make noise like that.

1 comment:

Tea Wench said...

Somehow it doesn't seem quite like the Chieftans without Derek Bell's puckish good humor on the stage. While they've regularly toured with additional musicians and dancers, I don't think I'd want to see a merging that looks like "Cherish the Chieftans."